lynx-dev

Mailing list readership (was: Re: lynx-dev How to Lynx)

From: Duncan Simpson
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 12:54:23 +0100

Are you sure MS exchnage and lookout really dominate most serious mailing
lists? The signs are that most people reading bugtraq, which is a serious
mailing list by any standard, are Un*x users. This could be the nature of the
list but I doubt there is vast "M$ user" audience for lynx-dev either. Quite a
few originations are wary of exchange, and outlook, on security grounds and the
avialable evidence would suggest this is justified.

Sendmail, qmail, etc often have all the features of exchange the organisation
has any earthly use for at a fraction of the cost. Web mail is very popular and
most of the solutions based on sendmail, qmail, postfix, etc also work with
outlook---just get outlook to talk POP to the appropiate box and it "just
works".

Failure to understand Precedence: List sounds like M$ brain damage to me. A few
automatic reply systems go further and fail to understand Precedence:
completely and need replacing even more seriously.

--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is