Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?

From: RobertM
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 21:26:39 +0100 (BST)

It is alleged that Jeff Long once typed:
>It seems to me that -anonymous is pretty messed up in 2.8.4 when compared
> to 2.8.3.  For example, when -anonymous is used in 2.8.4 I can:
> 1) Go to a served file: URL which then can get me into DirEd which then
> gets me /etc/passwd
> 2) Use ! to spawn my shell (which isn't a big deal when the shell is a
> script that starts lynx)
> 3) I can save options to a .lynxrc file
> 4) I can save a file to disk (e.g. using the d key)

All of these can be enabled or not for anonymous at compile time.
> and perhaps some other things I missed.  Perhaps this is the way it is
> supposed to work...

I suspect this is due to the options set in the copy of lynx you're
using. The anonymous lynx client at certainly
won'tlet you do those things, it's running 2.8.4rel.1.
However I did go through the options very very carefully.

  "Ask not what I can do for the stupid,
         but what the stupid can do for me" - Graeme Garden