lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx vs. color-pairs?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx vs. color-pairs?
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 09:00:46 -0400

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 02:47:01AM -0700, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> > The 9th color pair happens to be the one used for the background painting.
> > If you chose to modify lynx so it used the terminal's default color (pair
> > 0),
> > then it should be relatively simple to implement, and could be excluded from
> > the wbkgd behavior without too much trouble.
>
> Have you tried to duplicate this with ncurses or anything else
> (Solaris?), using terminfo entries that offer >8 pairs (either naturally
> or by modifying the terminfo entries)?

yes - it sounds as if you're seeing lynx paint black text on a white background,
when the terminal is set the same.  The issue is that curses assumes white
text on a black background.  If the application uses color pair 0, curses
won't do anything special with colors.  But any other color pair forces it
to paint the screen if the gven colors aren't as it assumes.  ncurses has
some extensions for changing the assumptions, but is otherwise compatible
with SVr4 curses.  So I can see what you're talking about, but can configure
lynx with ncurses so that is more efficient.

My point last night is that it's also possible to modify lynx so it is told
to use color pair 0 instead of the pair 9 which is not efficient.

> If it's a bug in the curses library, I'm in a position to fix it, except

it's not a bug (or feature), but just the way curses is designed.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net