lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: should nested <blockquotes> indent even further?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: should nested <blockquotes> indent even further?
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:50:50 +0000 (GMT)

> I've never seen such a tag-within-tag construct.  However, I just

I haven't; I was getting at the endemic abuse of the word tag, when
people mean element, or in the case of alt, attribute.

> got AppleWorks 6.2.2 to produce:
>
>     <BLOCKQUOTE>outer<BR>
>     <BLOCKQUOTE>inner<BR>

Except for the bogus use of <BR> (syntactically legal, though) this is
valid HTML.  The point was that the false assumption that HTML defines how
the text should be presented was being made.  This presumption is one of
the reasons for Lynx unfriendly pages.