lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Windows problem

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Windows problem
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 20:04:19 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> Cc: address@hidden
> My dev.8 binary (no code changes) with an unmodified lynx.cfg
> does it on Windows XP Professional SP1.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Frédéric L W Meunier>set HOME
> HOMEDRIVE=C:
> HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\Frédéric L W Meunier

So it looks like you don't have an environment variable called "HOME".
This seems to be what lynx is looking for (under several layers of
functions, the place for bookmark location comes from the function
"HomeEnv" in LYUtils.c). It goes into the temp directory if no
HOME environment variable is found. I see why you get the bookmark
file in the directory that you do, but Dale said that when he set
"home=g:\lynx", it went into g:\lynx\temp. I don't see how that can
happen, unless the getenv() function is case sensitive and sees "home"
as different from "HOME". Can you test where the bookmark and lynxrc
files are placed if you specify a "HOME" environment variable or a
"home" environment variable? This should be an absolute path.

If it isn't the lowercase of "home" that causes the problem, can you
look at the relevant code in LYUtils.c and see if you see how Dale
gets the directory that he does?

If I set an environment variable "home" rather than "HOME" in DJGPP,
my bookmark file defaults to "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP" rather than to the
directory specified in "home". If this is a problem for people under
Windows or DOS, we could easily change the code to look for "home" if
"HOME" doesn't exist. Plain DOS uppercases all environment variables
automatically, but bash can set the lowercase variable. I suspect that
Windows XP is not automatically uppercasing the environment variables.

> C:\Documents and Settings\Frédéric L W Meunier>set TEMP
> TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\FRDRIC~1\LOCALS~1\Temp
>
> The temporary files, lynx_bookmarks.htm, ad lynx.rc are created
> in C:\Documents and Settings\Frédéric L W Meunier\Temp.

                        Doug

--
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden