lynx-dev

lynx-dev fr.po translation file (was: lynx2.8.5dev.13)

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev fr.po translation file (was: lynx2.8.5dev.13)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:06:28 -0500

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:07:42AM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > [...]
> > > * update several po files (da.po, de.po, et.po, hu.po, sv.po, tr.po) from
> > I haven't passed the fr.po file onto the Translation Project due to the
> > ongoing thread about ISO-8859 vs. iso-8859, etc. Can someone let me know
> For the time being, just make them all uppercase.  (As Doug said, it's easy
> maintenance, and it doesn't affect systems which ignore case.)
> > if the file is okay to post (as it is probably better than what has been
> > distributed with Lynx for some time), or if I need to ask the translator
> > to make changes?
> That "probably better" is the hard part.  Who decides?  We need input from
> native French.  (Is the "new" fr.po an update, or a completely independent
> translation?)

  OK, now I'm confused. The FR.PO file that I got from Bernard last week
has this in it:

  The fr.po file in the lynx 2.8.5dev.13 distribution has this:

  So, I should change Bernards' from cp850 to ISO-8859-1?

  If the accents have been changed to the incorrect coding, I should not
send it yet, right?

  Bernard's version is an update to the one in the Lynx distribution, as
evidenced by his copied/modified comment:

#       Wen Feb  15 21:01:15 EST 2003, TD merged changes by
#               Bernard Schweitzer <address@hidden>

  The "TD merged" language was copied without Tom actually having done
any merge, but it indicates Bernard was the latest translator to touch
this file.

  Here is an example discrepancy between accented words in phrases, as
shown by the "less" file browser:

Old fr.po:

#: LYMessages.c:31
msgid "Are you sure you want to quit?"
msgstr "D<E9>sirez-vous vraiment quitter?"

New FR.PO:

#: LYMessages.c:31 LYMessages.c:32
msgid "Are you sure you want to quit?"
msgstr "D<82>sirez-vous vraiment quitter?"

  Is there some way that I can change the "code page 850" accents to the
"ISO-8859-1" accents without breaking the file?

------
<http://www.cs.indiana.edu/picons/db/users/net/bcpl/jspath/face.xbm>
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
<http://www.google.com/search?q=web+home+for+jim+spath>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
It is the people you meet in this job that really gets me down.