lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev fr.po translation file (was: lynx2.8.5dev.13)

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev fr.po translation file (was: lynx2.8.5dev.13)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:36:17 +0900 (JST)

> > > ongoing thread about ISO-8859 vs. iso-8859, etc. Can someone let me know

So you can ignore this problem.  THANKS, Doug, for getting that pinned down.
(That "# fuzzy" stuff had become such of a pest to me that I ended up doing
everything except the conversion to the final *.mo by hand.)

>   OK, now I'm confused. The FR.PO file that I got from Bernard last week
> has this in it:

>   The fr.po file in the lynx 2.8.5dev.13 distribution has this:

>   So, I should change Bernards' from cp850 to ISO-8859-1?

Gettext now works hand-in-hand with iconv to automagically do character
set conversions.  Even with older versions of gettext, it should be little
trouble to anyone who needs NLS that badly to do character set conversions
manually if necessary, prior to compiling the *.po file.

Assuming Bernard did his translation in "cp850", and it is labeled correctly
as such, then it's not necessary to change it to "iso-8859-1", AFAICS.

>   If the accents have been changed to the incorrect coding, I should not

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  What makes "cp850" incorrect?
Doesn't it just suggest that Bernard used some Windows or DOS word processor
to do his translation?

If Bernard is now the de-facto French translator for Lynx, wouldn't leaving
the *.po file in "cp850" make his job easier if that is the environment he
works/is comfortable in?

>   Bernard's version is an update to the one in the Lynx distribution, as

Then, if you want votes, I'll chip in support for an update.  (Can't read
a word of French, though.)

>   Here is an example discrepancy between accented words in phrases, as
It's not a "discrepancy" if the charset declaration is correct.  (If you
are saying they are _mixed_ in the new FR.PO, then, yes, there is a problem.)

>   Is there some way that I can change the "code page 850" accents to the
> "ISO-8859-1" accents without breaking the file?

Sure, use `iconv -f cp850 -t iso-8859-1`.  (But why?)

__Henry