lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: bookmarks encoding

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: lynx-dev Re: bookmarks encoding
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 11:52:04 -0700

Leonid Pauzner wrote:

    > a) creates the bookmark file with a "random" encoding (encoding of the
    >    current doc or somesuch);

    Not "random". Lynx create a bookmark file with "display charset" ecoding,
    and writes the appropriate META header.

The display charset is a "random variable"; it is determined by the
current page charset on the architectures which support a display
charset switch.

    > b) writes bookmarks to the file in a "random" encoding.

    also in "display charset".

    > Why not write all the ascii entities in ascii, and the rest via &FOO;
    > numeric escapes?

    In this case the bookmark file will hardly be edited by hand,
    so this is not a default behaviour.

The alternative is to have the 'v' command showing garbage.  Do you
like this more?

  If you change display charset
    frequently (or automatically), there is a lynx.cfg flag (since 1998):

  NCR_IN_BOOKMARKS

Thanks, this may be a partial solution, but the documentation is not
clear: what does this flag do?  E.g., is the encoding of the the newly
created bookmark files still random?

And I do not see *why* this flag is needed.  When newly created, a
bookmark file is written in a correct encoding (I mean the first
bookmark in the file is correct).  When subsequent bookmarks are
written, lynx can read the bookmark file, deduce its encoding, then
write the bookmark (using Numeric Character References or not -
depending on the encoding).

IMO, in this case coding a correct solution is easier than writing
documentation for all these workarounds...

Ilya