lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Local browsing

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Local browsing
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 00:13:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> The latest djgpp/Watt-32 version doesn't allow opening local
> .htm pages without a drive-letter. E.g.
>
> "lynx \net\docs\ghbname.htm" fails, but
> "lynx e:\net\docs\ghbname.htm" succeedes.

HTDOS_name removes the leading slash, so the local URL is taken
relative to the current directory. The full URL here would be
"file://localhost/net/docs/ghbname.htm", which is the same URL you
would get from "lynx net/docs/ghbname.htm". The leading slash is
merged with the slash after "localhost". If no drive letter is given,
this is assumed to be relative to the current directory. You can also
express this as "file://localhost/dev/e/net/docs/ghbname.htm". I don't
think that I was involved in making the decision, but I think that
treating a local file path without a drive letter as a relative local
path is intentional. Someone could add code to not strip the leading
slash when it begins the URL on the command line, but you would have
to be careful not to break any of the other necessary conversions
between DOS conventions and www conventions.

> BTW. Isn't there a way to interrupt really slow ftp openings?
> (not transfers, but the initial greeting, STAT, PWD stuff).
> I tried ftp://info.cert.org w/o passive mode and it timed out
> eventually. Passive mode is okay. But 'z' didn't work and repeated
> ^C's crashed Lynx (at eip = 0x00000000).

Just compile the DJGPP version with "-DIGNORE_CTRL_C". This will use
the WATT-32 interrupt handler and allow CTRL-C to stop the slow ftp
opening gracefully. When you compile with this option, ALT-X will
abort lynx. See the code in LYClean.c. I haven't tested this since
lynx2.8.5dev.11, but it worked in that version.
                         Doug

--
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden