lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx no longer in Red Hat ?

From: Frédéric L . W . Meunier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx no longer in Red Hat ?
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:57:52 -0300 (E. South America Standard Time)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>
> > I was browsing the irssi mailing-list archives and found the
> > following post from a Red Hat employee (well, he has a
> > @redhat.com e-mail):
> >
> > http://www.dragoncat.net/lists/irssi-dev/2003-05/0002.html
> >
> > "lynx is no longer included in Red Hat Linux distributions. It
> > has been superseded by links."
> >
> > Anyway, I don't know what he meant because 9.0 contains
> > 2.8.5-11 and their current development tree 2.8.5-12.
>
> I believe they're saying that it's not part of the base install.
> I did notice that.

Indeed. Apparently since 7.2 (and without any notice ?). I
found the following post from a Lynx user:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/enigma-list/2001-October/msg01250.html

Interesting thread. Some reasons:

"Because links (smaller) has been added."

"Lynx didn't handle frames. Links does."

It appears they moved to ELinks in 9.0 (?). IMO Petr Baudis and
others are doing a much better job (compared to Links and Links
2), so it's well deserved.

I still think they could remove some bloat and readd Lynx. A
lot of people still use Lynx or now both, but...

--
address@hidden, dyndns.org}