lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev url#name is treated the same as url for -dump

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev url#name is treated the same as url for -dump
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:10:12 +0900 (JST)

> > These are the same
> > $ lynx -dump -nolist file.html#name|sum
> > 53321     1
> > $ lynx -dump -nolist file.html|sum
> > 53321     1
> >
> > However,
> > $ lynx file.html#name
> > $ lynx file.html
> > are correctly different in what they put on the screen.

There is no conflict here, is there?

> > lynx -dump -nolist file.html#name
> > needs to cut off output up to #name.

Please, no.  [If you are piping the output to some script: 1) there are
better tools than Lynx for pulling documents off of the Web *non*-
interactively, and 2) write the script so that IT skips down to #name
to begin it's post-processing.]

If I am incorrect, please someone with greater knowledge of html correct
me.  Doesn't the "#name" refer to a fragment identifier, and doesn't that
identifier only point to a *location* within a resource?  It does not refer
to a resource.  If "lynx -dump -nolist file.html#name" only starts with
content after the anchor "name", essentially you'll end up with garbage
since you will have no knowledge of the resource itself, including the
document type.

__Henry