lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev gettext troubles

From: Bjoern JACKE
Subject: Re: lynx-dev gettext troubles
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:43:59 +0200

On 2003-10-24 at 08:22 -0700 Doug Kaufman sent off:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Bjoern JACKE wrote:

"da" is no valid POSIX locale. Do you mean da_DK?
Does that work better for you?

I don't think that this isn't correct. The _territory part is
optional. "da" should be valid. Indeed, da_DK won't work, since lynx
doesn't have a da_DK.po file. See the URL that you cited and the gnu
gettext info file.

no. "da" is invalid, please read the url I posted or if you have more time visit the Opengroup and look at the POSIX standards. Even if lynx has a "da" .po file. Your libc should normalize the locale and gettext will try one after the other. Example:

LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

first gettext will look for a lynx.po in de_DE.utf8/ (and ....UTF-8, too)
then it will look in de_DE/
then in de/
and if it still doesn't find a po file it will use the compiled in string.

The fact that the libc will to this normalization does not mean that something like "LANG=de" is correct.

Entering
LC_ALL=da locale charmap
will give you
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
ANSI_X3.4-1968

entering
LC_ALL=da_DK locale charmap
will give you
ISO-8859-1

maybe that will convince you. Yes, the POSIX locale system is a bit complex and at some places it is quite incosistent, too.

Bjoern