Re: mailing-list problem (Was Re: lynx-dev What happened to MINGW patch?

From: Frédéric L . W . Meunier
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 04:11:50 -0200

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> I, too, have been puzzled about the perceived problems with the
> current list. Can those who advocate changing/moving post a message
> outlining the problems so the rest of us can understand? Is
> asking us to leave?

1- Nobody (mainly Thomas, the maintainer) has any control over
the mailing-list and archives, hosted respectively by Verio and

2- If Verio or go out of business, close, change the
rules, or whatever, we'd have to move anyway.

3- Apparently all e-mails from non subscribers are sent to
/dev/null without any moderation taking place. I know there was
some moderation in the past (I also know some people complained
it was done as a forward with everything quoted), but as I
haven't seen any message from non subscribers in the last 2
years or so, I really doubt there's any actually.

'About Lynx-Dev' states:

"Messages from non-subscribers are not immediately distributed
to avoid spam. Usually, if your message appears genuine, it
will be retrieved from the pile headed for the wastebasket
within a day or so and distributed to the list. For best
results, subscribe as described above."

We point all people to lynx-dev. lynx-dev-contrib is only
mentioned in the same page. Most people don't know it
exists or subscribe to it since the above clearly states
lynx-dev is moderated.

4- The mailing-list archives at are open for spam
harvesters, as they don't hide the addresses.

See what Savannah does -

You only get the address using "Submit to";.

5- The mailing-list archives at are full of spam
which apparently gets sent to lynx-dev-archive at

6- I and Victor Schneider
had problems posting. I don't know what went wrong for him, but
I'm pretty sure 2 messages I sent with an address subscribed to
lynx-dev-contrib didn't go through.

7- With Mailman (used by SourceForge and Savannah) and Listar
(used by we don't need a
lynx-dev-contrib. Unlike Majordomo, the software provides nice
features, one of which lets the user configure if he wants to
receive e-mail. He can go on vacation and just disable it. No
need to unsubscribe and resubscribe when he comes back.

8- This is the third and last time I take place on a thread
about a possible move. Hope we do :-)

How to contact me -