lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] mime_types (was: ... google )

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] mime_types (was: ... google )
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 19:01:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 7 May 2004 address@hidden wrote:

> In a recent note, Thomas Dickey said:
>
> > Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 17:54:55 -0400 (EDT)
> >
> > You could override it by specifying a different path in the lynx.cfg
> > for GLOBAL_EXTENSION_MAP.  That's a workaround.  Actually it doesn't make
> > sense (to me) that lynx should have to advertise that it accepts
> > everything in the file - in principle, one could do an
> >
> This reminds me of an irritation that happens on OS X.  I
> select a link to a document with "Content-type: application/pdf"
> and path suffix ".pdf"  Lynx fetches it and launches a viewer
> according to the EXTENSION_MAP.  But the suffix of the workfile
> in $TMPDIR is not ".pdf", and the viewer rejects it.
>
> How does Lynx select the suffix of the workfile?

There are only a few choices (".bin", ".txt" and ".html" or ".htm").
That's done in src/HTFWriter.c in HTSaveAndExecute(), based on the
mime type.  Reading and comparing with the mailcap on this machine,
it looks as if it might be useful to use the nametemplate value if
it exists (making a note to look into that...).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net