lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx display buffer questions

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx display buffer questions
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 16:14:29 +0900

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 11:04:27PM +0900, address@hidden wrote:
> > available.  The best I can do is the Japanese MS Gothic, which gives
> > me English, Japanese and some Cyrillic and Greek.
>
> Do you mean that MS Gothic is enough for your use?

It's not really enough.  I do read enough French, and a tad of German
and Spanish, that I'd like to be able to see glyphs for those languages.
Until a fixed-width Unicode font becomes available for Windows, that's
not going to happen.  The only Unicode font I've found is "Arial Unicode
MS" (I don't believe Microsoft distributes it anymore, at least not for
free anyway.), but of course it is not compatible with PuTTY, MS Telnet
or TeraTerm.

> If yes, you can use it on PuTTY with jppatch(*).
> UTF-8 is also available on it.

MS Gothic also works fine with TeraTerm (which has two indespensible
features very superior to PuTTY: serial connection and printing of
Japanese via Windows printer control. [I need to be able to choose my
printer.])  I am still testing PuTTY, but it seems to have a serious
problem with painting some strings to the display, i.e., it is VERY slow
compared with TeraTerm.

> Setting D.C.S to UNICODE(UTF-8) is useful for pages encoded by UTF-8.

It's MORE than "useful" for Japanese pages encoded in UTF-8!  Thank you
very much for that!

> Of course, you need to use terminal emulator which is available
> unicode font.

The terminal emulator is there (PuTTY); it's the font that is missing.

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999