lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] LYNX: url-stack via history-page, vs "reality"?

From: David Combs
Subject: [Lynx-dev] LYNX: url-stack via history-page, vs "reality"?
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:09:15 -0400

                 [LYNX VERSION:  "(Lynx Version 2.8.5rel.1)" ].

I "call up" the history-page, which has the structure,
it appears, like this:

   [<link-num>]  name & url of site being visited WHEN hit "L" key (histPage)

   [<link-num>]  name & url of site being visited WHEN "went-on to" THAT page.

   [<link-num>]  name & url of site being visited WHEN "went-on" to (went fwd
to) THAT page

   [<link-num>]  name & url of site being visited WHEN "went-on" to (went fwd
to) THAT page

   [<link-num>]  name & url of site being visited WHEN "went-on" to (went fwd
to) THAT page

   [<link-num>]  name & url of site being visited WHEN "went-on" to (went fwd
to) THAT page

   ... etc

So, I'm looking at the (depicted above) history-page
(note: which is tself NOT shown in that stack" of sites) and
interpret it as follows:

    If, while sitting here in the hist-page, I hit *one* backspace,
    that'll put me back at the site named at the top of that "stack".

    If, while sitting in the (above) hist page, I had instead
    hit backspace *twice*, that would have put me back to the site
    listed just below the top one showing there.

    If, while sitting in the (above) hist page, I had instead
    hit backspace *three* times, that would have put me back to the site
    listed in the THIRD line in the stack.

    Etc.

BUT -- I find it doesn't quite work that way.  What
actually happens is that actually gets me *farther*
down the "stack" than the number of backspace's keyed-in.

Like, if, say, "google" appears on the "stack" maybe six down
from the top, and I start hitting backspace's, I might get there
after hitting (keying-in) only two or three of them.

Any idea what's happening?

Thanks,

David