lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynxlet - a Mac OS X launcher application for Lynx

From: Chuck Houpt
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynxlet - a Mac OS X launcher application for Lynx
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:55:28 -0500

is lynxlet currently:

(a) a portable/static-linked app?  i.e., does it require any
OSX-installed libs?  can it be installed on a USB-keychain, e.g.?

Lynxlet's only requirement is a default install of Mac OS X 10.2+ - no special libraries, etc. It should be able to run from wherever regular applications can run (network drives, CDs, zips, thumb drives, etc). Note, I haven't done exhaustive testing, so there might be some issues I've missed.

(b) is src available so that we can wrap the front-end around
our/preferred build (e.g., diff config optins ...)?

I'm still figuring out how to release the source...

However, it is simple to install a new version of Lynx in Lynxlet's bundle/package. All the interesting files are in the application's resource folder: Lynxlet.app/Contents/Resources:

lynx/ - lynx install directory (contains bin/lynx and lib/lynx_help/).
termlet - the shell script that launches lynx after setting up some env vars.
lynxlet.cfg - the config file (referenced in termlet).
lynxlet.html - the default page (referenced in termlet).

To install a new lynx, just replace the lynx install directory, and modify the termlet script and config files as desired.

The one caveat is that help probably won't work, because the one small change I had to make to lynx 2.8.5 was to add support for a LYNX_HELPFILE environment variable, so the help files could be located at runtime.

Cheers - Chuck