lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.6dev.18 build fails

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.6dev.18 build fails
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 07:09:49 +0900

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 06:16:02AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:42:19AM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > Tom, did you send a reply to the list?  I didn't receive it if you did.
>
> [...]
> Perhaps you'll receive this mail if I send from radix.net

Arrived!

RE: /usr/local/include/slang.h:899: warning: `libintl_printf' is an
unrecognized format function type
> > Should I talk to the gettext (function name), slang (reference to slang.h)
> > or libiconv (interaction with --with-libiconv-prefix configure option)
> > people to get this fixed?

John Davis sent a very selective "if" clause that could be used in his
header file to work around the problem.  For my own personal system I think
editing slang.h is the most solid solution, as much as I'd rather cleanup
libintl.h.  For others on the list who might be interested, the if statement
(prototype, not yet tested) would look something like:
   #if defined(__GNUC__) && !defined(_LIBINTL_H) && !defined(printf)

I'm not sure what solution Bruno Haible will offer.  He seems to think
the need to redefine printf is OS and language (c vs. c++) dependent.

I might be able to persuade him to wrap his redefinition of printf if I
understood why adding the configure option "--with-libiconv-prefix" makes
gcc bail out with a fatal error, whereas without the define, it is just a
warning.  Any insights here much appreciated.

> > I should mention that I link mutt, with no such errors, to the same three
> > libraries that seem to be involved: lslang, liconv, lintl.
>
> perhaps mutt is including slang.h before intl.h

Probably never get around to it, but I was thinking of doing that for
LYCurses.h, LYKeymap.h, LYUtils.h and HTParse.c to see what would happen.

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999