lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] text browsing

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] text browsing
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 00:32:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Henry Nelson wrote:

> I think I saw somewhere that the "gettext" tools (what you want if you're
> going to get into translating the messages) had been ported to Windows, but
> unfortunately I don't have the slightest idea how they work on Windows.

The MingW version of lynx which I have been porting (but not yet
distributing) is compiled with NLS and seems to work fine. I linked
it with gettext-0.11.5 which I ported to MingW last year. I generally
compile MingW programs under Cygwin with -mno-cygwin and don't have
any experience with the native MingW MSYS environment. I see from
the MingW web page that there is an "official" port of gettext to
mingw. I haven't looked to see if what I did matched that port or not.
At least with the version I am using, you specify the environment
variable "LYNX_LOCALEDIR" unless the locale directory is the same as
the default compiled into gettext. The utilities (msgfmt and xgettext)
work the same as on unix, but when building under Cygwin for MingW,
the Cygwin utilities are used to make the .gmo files. Just specify the
LANG and possibly the LANGUAGE environment variables and lynx uses
the lynx.mo file installed in the $LYNX_LOCALEDIR/$LANG/LC_MESSAGES
directory.

I am happy to send the patch file that I used for porting gettext to
anyone interested.

For a Cygwin build of lynx, gettext is part of the Cygwin system and
should work "out of the box". I haven't built a pure Cygwin lynx since
2.8.5pre.3 in February 2004, however, and I built that without NLS, so
I can't comment from personal experience.

By the way, if anyone is interested in doing translations for lynx, be
sure to first read the information from the translation project web page
"http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/";, then sign up to be part of
the translation team.

                      Doug
--