lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] UTF-8 problem

From: patakuti
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] UTF-8 problem
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 00:27:10 +0900 (JST)

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006, address@hidden wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm recently migrating from ja_JP.eucJP to ja_JP.UTF-8 and
> might find a problem.
>
> On kterm with ja_JP.eucJP, lynx can display a page of both
> ISO-2022-JP or euc-jp (or even UTF-8) if a source file setts
> a correct charset=ISO-2022-JP or charset=euc-jp.
>
> But on uxterm with ja_JP.UTF-8, it seems lynx fails to display
> a page of ISO-2022-JP but can dispaly correctly a page of euc-jp.
> (precisely, lynx doesn't display a page of euc-jp completely
> correctly but it can dispaly japanese characters well.)

It must fail because there is no mechanism to convert iso-2022-jp to
utf-8 in current Lynx code.

see CHANGELOG
| 2005-10-17 (2.8.6dev.14)
(snip)
| * extend experimental option --enable-japanese-utf8, allowing lynx to convert
|   EUC-JP and Shift_JIS strings to UTF-8 -TH

and my mail.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lynx-dev/2005-07/msg00018.html

I think adding iso-2022-jp to utf-8 support is too large task for me.
I'm hesitating to do it because I don't have enough time.
# I think that first, I have to add the definition in UCdomap.[ch],
# then check the incluences on existing codes and then introduce the
# conversion.

I don't know well but if utf-8 terminal emulator will become standard
in the near future, Lynx might be an outdated program for Japanese.
# Though we can use Lynx with TTYConv utility.