Re: [Lynx-dev] "Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host."

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] "Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host."
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 07:09:45 +0900

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 11:57:48AM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Henry Nelson dixit:
> >Sorry for the noise.  It's some kind of DNS problem, but I can't see
> >what's different from the Windows setup and the unix host.
> The resolver?

Thanks.  This was a very educational post (to me anyway).

> 1|address@hidden:~ $ host -v
> Query about for record types A
> Trying ...
> Query done, 1 answer, status: no error
> The following answer is not authoritative:
>   1754    IN      A

But if this is true, then why can't I substitue the numerical IP
for the site name, i.e., "";?  This allows
Lynx to connect, but to the wrong page: "Tripod | Error".

> address@hidden:~ $ dnsip
> I guess we should be looking that up in the RFCs, and then
> possibly file a bug against the BSD libcs' resolvers, and
> maybe check with the BIND people (at least for BIND 4, which

Thinking about it, I'm using my provider's name servers.  I thought
Windows was too.  The unix host has BIND 9.3.0 installed, but the
daemon is not running (only /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf files).

Anyway, Lynx is in good shape.  (Now I know why it's good to have a
port to Windows.)