lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] BRF charset support

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] BRF charset support
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 20:26:05 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Samuel Thibault wrote:

Hi,

The following URL outputs a BRF-encoded text.

http://brl.thefreecat.org/test.php

I would expect lynx to output braille patterns when browsing it, but it
doesn't recognize the BRF charset (though it is supported by my debian's
glibc's iconv) and lynx considers the text to be latin1, hence the
result is "A B C".

Well that's two suggestions; (1) make lynx know more about iconv, and (2) make lynx generate Braille patterns.

While iconv is something that's been considered, I'm puzzled by (2).
As you know, Braille is a tactile interface.  How did you expect lynx
to render that?

When lynx doesn't know a charset, it should ask iconv in case the latter
is able to convert into unicode, and then lynx could display it like any
unicode text.

Samuel