lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] A patch for lynx.

From: Zephaniah E. Hull
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] A patch for lynx.
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:32:06 -0400

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 10:15:31PM +0100, David Woolley wrote:
> Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
>
> >of '<tag some_attributes />', which means fairly exactly
> >'<tag some_attributes></tag>'.
>
> No it doesn't.  In XHTML 1.0 written in *Non*-HTML compatible
> mode it has this meaning.  In HTML it has had a de facto meaning
> of simply <tag some_attributes>.

To verify here, is the / actually legal in any version of HTML or XHTML
that does not consider this a closing statement?

If so, does it actually have any _meaning_?

If the answer is no to either of these, then I simply _can't_ see this
as a valid reason not to parse this as stated above.

Especially in a browser that has lynx's handling of <tag/foo/>.

(Try it if you never have, then come back with an explination of why we
should support that and _not_ support a usage that's not all that
uncommon in the wild.)

--
          1024D/E65A7801 Zephaniah E. Hull <address@hidden>
           92ED 94E4 B1E6 3624 226D  5727 4453 008B E65A 7801