lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: not setting background in lynx.lss when using--enable

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: not setting background in lynx.lss when using--enable-default-colors
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 08:17:20 -0800

"Stefan Caunter" <address@hidden> writes:

  > On 12/11/07, Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:
  > > Well, then a better solution would be to not use colors that don't have
  > > good contrast on either a black background or a white background.
  > > Changing the default to black does not seem such a good idea just for
  > > that reason.  AFAIK all major X terminal emulators default to have white
  > > background, and no other terminal application defaults to have a dark
  > > background, so lynx changing the default to have a black background
  > > is very strange.
  >
  > Sure, as far as you know, but that is really something for  a
  > distribution to consider.

Not sure what you are referring to, please clarify: that some
distributions configure the terminal emulators to default to another
background, or that distributions should configure the lynx defaults. If
the later, then for example Fedora tries not to change application
default, it tries to stick with what "upstream" provides.

  > The lynx app itself is totally configurable.  (For example) it also
  > doesn't default to vi keys, and so 'j' doesn't work as expected. By
  > me. And so on.

This is an incorrect analogy so irrelevant to the discussion at hand:
this is not something that has recently changed in lynx.

  > Actual terminals have dark backgrounds and going to white background
  > is equally strange there.

2 fundamental problems with this statement:
  - with my proposal things work correctly with both X terminal
  emulators and real terminals. Tested with xterm and the linux console:
  the background stays white and black, respectively.
  - there are a few orders of magnitude less actual terminals than
  terminal emulators in use, so basing defaults on actual terminals
  would not help the majority of users.

Again, lynx has not  used a default black background until now. Why
change?