lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] unpacked directory name

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] unpacked directory name
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 04:07:12 -0400

080518 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Sun, 18 May 2008, Philip Webb wrote:
>> Is it difficult to use a new dir name when tarring version files ?
> no - that's simply been the convention for lynx ("forever").
> I can change it.

There have been 2 objections, one of which I've just responded to,
the other seemed off the point, so I hope you will continue to consider it.

Another version-number issue is the persistence of 'dev' versions
-- since time immemorial (smile) -- , where other projects change numbers.
On Gentoo at least, this results in the latest version being way out-of-date,
as they don't treat 'dev' versions as full-scale releases, which they are,
so that I continue to have to install them myself in  /usr/local .
Is there any problem with calling each new version from now on
'2.8.7', '2.8.8', '2.8.9' etc (yes, '2.8.100' if it gets that far) ?