lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] (OT) Q: best way to hide ECMAscript-only things

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: [Lynx-dev] (OT) Q: best way to hide ECMAscript-only things
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:08:28 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

some of my colleagues at work were wondering how to best hide
ECMAscript-only page elements from browsers where they don’t
work anyway.

The first solution was to use a “display:none;” CSS, which
obviously fails for Lynx.

Someone else pointed out that one could just insert the elements
into the document tree using JS. Others wonder if that would work
in combination with exotic things such as Bloatzilla’s NoScript
plugin (but then I question if the elements in question would
work with it anyway).

Another suggestion was to provide a “skip JS-only navigation”
link; the solution for non-Lynx items on www.mirbsd.org is,
however, slightly better I think: I’ve placed the top logo
on the bottom of the page and move it up using CSS, so that
Lynx users wouldn’t even need to skip it.

(Since we offer accessible pages, the JS-only elements aren’t
mandatory anyway, in case someone wonders.)

Are there another ways to hide such elements from browsers such
as Lynx (with limited CSS support) or $guibrowser with JS disabled?
What are their pros and cons? Does anyone here have other commentary
on the aforementioned items?

Thanks,
//mirabilos
--
Yay for having to rewrite other people's Bash scripts because bash
suddenly stopped supporting the bash extensions they make use of