Re: [Lynx-dev] (OT) Q: best way to hide ECMAscript-only things

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] (OT) Q: best way to hide ECMAscript-only things
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:44:51 +0000 (UTC)

Chuck Houpt dixit:

> Enhancing existing elements via Javascript is a common way to achieve
> "graceful degradation" of a DHTML/AJAX web site. More info at:

Thanks, very interesting, but doesn't match the situation at hand.
The question is, how to "hide" the page elements that don't work in
a non-JS browser, assuming there are other elements that either do
or - considering your example - are only JS-enriched and gracefully
degrade already.

> For the MirOS Logo, simply using an empty alt attribute (alt="")
> would hide it

Yes, but that's invalid XHTML, plus I think Lynx would show it
anyway, or at least, the paragraph/div would take up vertical
space. I kind of like my solution there, I just think it isn't
applicable to all of the potential cases the question applies

Yay for having to rewrite other people's Bash scripts because bash
suddenly stopped supporting the bash extensions they make use of
        -- Tonnerre Lombard in #nosec