lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] French accents

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] French accents
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 22:36:58 +0000

Kristopher Kycia wrote:

More on the US-ASCII (7 bit approximation): I looked into this problem until 2 AM yesterday and well it struck me. Currently Lynx is now using 7 bits to display the webpage. It is no longer using the top 128 characters because most accents are now displayed as the letter itself.

What top 128 characters? ASCII only has 95 printable characters, including space. The highest printable code point in ASCII is 126 and the highest code point overall is 127. What US-ASCII (7 bit approximation) does is to cause Lynx to use ASCII characters and only ASCII characters to achieve a best approximation of a wider character set.
--
David Woolley