lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] maclynx -- utf8-ignore and/or update...

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] maclynx -- utf8-ignore and/or update...
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 06:41:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 May 2010, address@hidden wrote:

hello,
I managed to get maclynx 2.7.1 beta 1 working on a powerbook 100. it works
quite well given its age and the changes of the internet in the meantime.

2.7.1 is ancient (1997 or 1998).  The current version of lynx does port
and work on Mac OSX (other people on this list should be able to provide
more information).

but one problem severely reduces functionality: every time the browser
meets a site encoded in utf-8 it offers "(D)ownload or (C)ancel". Is there
a way to make maclynx ignore utf-8 and just render the page in the
preselected charset? I would not mind if some accented characters on the
page look strange.

and second, I have found three references that there was an update to
maclynx some time ago (maclynx 2.7.1. beta 1 update 1; the references were
from 2004). but the sites were removed. does anybody here know what has
become of that? I am intrigued, maybe my problem as above has been fixed
already.

many thanks, regards
tom