Re: [Lynx-dev] Install Question

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Install Question
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 07:23:00 +0100

Philip Webb wrote:
[ Perhaps someone on the lynx-dev list can help this wb user ]

----- Forwarded message from Hilary Palencar <address@hidden> -----

From purslow  Wed Oct 20 21: 00:19 2010
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:24:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Hilary Palencar <address@hidden>
Subject: Install Question
To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>

I downloaded Lynx, a version of which I used years ago, onto a laptop
running Windows 7. Windows 7 does not even have the file extraction tool

I haven't used Windows 7, but I can't believe that they have removed the built in unzip capability. More likely is that the source code has been downloaded, instead of the Windows binaries.

+ I needed to unzip it. I would like to be able to boot (on a 64-bit
+ system, IIRC) into Lynx in order to have faster download speeds on a

Lynx is not a standalone program (the only standalone PC program I've ever come across is memtest86). You cannot boot into it. You might be able to boot into a small free OS based system that runs Lynx, but note that write support for NTFS tends to be missing on these, so you would not be able to save directly. The best chance if you wanted to go for a mini-Linux hosted Lynx, given that Windows has a reputation for being dual boot unfriendly (I would not like to advise on dual booting an unfamiliar Windows, especially, on a laptop, where you probably don't have install media, other than a hidden partition) would be to boot from a USB stick, or CD-ROM. The former has the advantage that you can write back to it.

Doing this sort of thing tends to require a certain amount of skill, so I'm not sure if even someone who has done it recently could give a simple procedure that doesn't assume a lot of knowledge of the chosen OS.

David Woolley