lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Numbering problem lynx2.8.8dev.6

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Numbering problem lynx2.8.8dev.6
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 19:05:51 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010, Doug Kaufman wrote:

I just built lynx on mingw for the first time since 2.8.7rel1. I
built for mingw under cygwin using 2.8.8dev.6 source with Tom's
lynx2.8.8dev.6b.patch applied. The labeling of numbering of both form
fields and links is not correct. This applies whether links, form
fields, or both are numbered. I first noted this on Google and Google
look at the lynx options page, with links and form fields numbered,
there are 2 links numbered "3", the "HELP" and "Save options to disk".
Subsequent numbering is off, although "go to" a link goes to the
correct link, but not to the link with that number label.

If you go to "http://www.google.com/";, I see the first 14 links and
fields numbered properly (including the first 4 input field lines).
Links number 15, 16, and 17 are labeled 5, 6, and 7. Links 18 - 23 are
correctly labeled.

If you go to "http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en";, links 1 -
12 are labeled correctly, with #12 being "About Google". With the 13th
link, numbering starts all over again with the 13th link labeled "1" and
with the last link, the 35th ("Search"), labeled "21".

I don't see what is causing this. Here are details about my build:

The most likely cause is this: Lynx is maintaining two lists, which are
joined together when numbering. When I implemented the unique-urls feature (which did work for my test cases...), I had to make some changes around the section of the logic which merges things. (I'll see if I can isolate it tomorrow - long day).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net