lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] xz

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] xz
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 21:55:11 +0000 (UTC)

Ivan Shmakov dixit:

>I may be mistaken here, but the above makes me think that the
>decompression code per se was released into the public domain,

Yes, that was attempted.

>which qualifies as both “free” and “open source.”

No.

It’s still unlicenced, as “Public Domain” isn’t a licence but
rather the absence of copyright protection. And even if your
country accepts an explicit PD dedication, mine doesn’t, and
so, PD is proprietary, unlicenced and impossible to distribute.

We’re discussing this on an xz list right now (again), so I’m
taking this off-list as it’s OT here.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
13:37⎜«Natureshadow» Deep inside, I hate mirabilos. I mean, he's a good
guy. But he's always right! In every fsckin' situation, he's right. Even