lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Hide lynx_bookmarks.html

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Hide lynx_bookmarks.html
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:06:08 -0400

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:49:12AM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> tom fogal dixit:
>
> >A ~/.lynxrc setting works for me.
>
> We have that already…
>
> >Given that: is there still desire for a patch (which uses per-platform
> >directories)? Is this a Good Thing or just a Thing?
>
> I fear that any change of the default location will require
> code to move old files to the new location (mc did that when
> they moved to XDG).

...as well as breaking scripts, etc., which assume things.

Looks like a day or two to do that properly, and still end up annoying more
people than would find it useful.

> Also, XDG is not trivial, it’ll require environment variable
> substitution, and the path is no static string that can be
> referred to in the bookmarks any more. Also, ~/.lynxrc would
> have to move, too.
>
> Lots of user confusion to consider.

In Fedora19, the only programs which I see using XDG are parts of the GUI
(such as GNOME).  Programs run from the command-line, or not part of GNOME or
KDE
such as bash, firefox, opera, ncftp are untouched.

(mc is part of GNOME, and most of GNOME is not worth imitating...)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net