lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] SSLcerts config help

From: Francesco Ariis
Subject: [Lynx-dev] SSLcerts config help
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 00:18:42 +0200

Hello lynx users,
    I am trying to configure lynx to handle ssl certs following
`README.sslcerts` [1]. I am using Lynx Version 2.8.9dev.1 (12 Mar 2014)
on Debian stable.
I am having problems with setting SSL_CERT_DIR and SSL_CERT_FILE
environment variables.

[1] http://lynx.invisible-island.net/current/README.sslcerts

Long story short, the guide asks you to determine where `libcrypto.a` is,
so I invoked:

    address@hidden:/usr$ find -name libcrypto.a
    ./lib/i386-linux-gnu/libcrypto.a

Then, to determine the default location for the certs the
guide asks you to run:

    strings libcrypto.a  | grep -in cert | less
    [...]
    28697:/usr/lib/ssl/certs
    28698:/usr/lib/ssl/cert.pem
    28699:SSL_CERT_DIR
    28700:SSL_CERT_FILE
    [...]

I modified my .bashrc to export those variables:

    address@hidden:~$ echo $SSL_CERT_DIR; echo $SSL_CERT_FILE
    /usr/lib/ssl/certs
    /usr/lib/ssl/cert.pem

`FORCE_SSL_PROMPT` is set to `PROMPT` in lynx.cfg, still when I browse,
say, duckduckgo.com I get:

    SSL error:the certificate has no known issuer-Continue? (y)

I suspect there is a problem with SSL_CERT_FILE, because
`/usr/lib/ssl/certs` exists (904 elements) but I see
no `/usr/lib/ssl/cert.pem`.

Any hint on how to solve the issue?
-F