lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] possible? is text browsers and current web standards

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] possible? is text browsers and current web standards
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2017 00:42:33 +0100

On 30/06/17 23:37, Karen Lewellen wrote:
Certainly I understand why java script is not incorporated.  still, I
share the idea below, wondering if this might be done, and if not why not?

Implementing the HTML5 document object model would involve an almost complete re-write, from the ground up, of all the code that handles the parsing and rendering of HTML. Implementing what I call the browser object model would also be difficult because of parallelism expected in modern "web applications", and because it is directed towards GUI user interfaces. Together these, rather than the scripting language, is what people really mean when they use the term Javascrpt, loosely.

My view is that, if you want an AJAX web application platform, with a character cell interface, it would be easier to start with one of the standard GUI browsers and take out the GUI, than to start from Lynx.

It still would not be HTML5 compliant, as HTML5 is about producing the same display and behaviour on all browsers (even for invalid documents).