lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] The ^Xe Puzzle: How do (or did) Lynx users on OpenVMS ope

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] The ^Xe Puzzle: How do (or did) Lynx users on OpenVMS open external editors for form fields?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 19:59:43 -0500

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 03:19:05PM -0400, Guy Broome wrote:
> Good afternoon, Lynx gurus.
>

> I'm an OpenVMS hobbyist, also known as a glutton for punishment, with a
> small VAXcluster.  Occasionally I take it upon myself to get more recent
> open-source software compiled and running on OpenVMS VAX or Alpha, than
> what is commonly available in the derelict VMS freeware archives.  Lynx is
> the latest such project.
>

> The last Lynx build for VMS VAX that I could find online is 2.8.6dev.8,
> which is circa 2006, and was not built with SSL support.  As of yesterday,
> I got Lynx 2.8.8rel.2 compiled and working with SSL, BZip2, and Zlib
> against the VMS TCPIP stack on OVMS VAX 7.3 using DECC.  Only a small
> amount of modification was needed.  So far, it works well, with one
> frustrating exception...
>

> How on earth did VMS Lynx users get ^Xe (Ctrl-x e) entered to jump into an
> external editor from form fields?  I've got an external editor defined in

responding late...

The control-X is bound to SETM1, which can be bound to some other character
using the keymap feature in lynx.cfg:

#
# KEYMAP lines can have one or two additional fields.  The extended format is
#  KEYMAP:<KEYSTROKE>:[<MAIN LYNX FUNCTION>]:<OTHER BINDING>[:<SELECT>]

...and

# Modify following key (prefixing only works within line-editing, edit actions
# of some resulting prefixed keys are built-in, see Line Editor help pages)
#  SETM1        # Set modifier 1 flag (default for ^X - key prefix)
#  SETM2        # Set modifier 2 flag (another key prefix - same effect)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
https://invisible-island.net