lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Website shows blank page in Lynx browser

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Website shows blank page in Lynx browser
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 09:44:34 +0100

On 12/04/18 02:27, Jude DaShiell wrote:
What would be really neat if it happened is if Tim Burnersley went and did a class action suit on all javascript using websites requiring specific performance where those sites had to remove permanently all html since they had made his html inaccessible by using their

Unfortunately The World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Group, now considers reliance on ECMAScript as acceptable, and has done so, for probably half a decade. In my view that is because it is made up of accessibility consultants and graphical browser developers.

Also note that HTML5 is the product of a coup, by an industry consortium and is not controlled by W3C. W3C wanted a semantically strong language, document mark-up language. WHATWG wanted a language for running graphical applications on browsers, that was defined in such a way that even garbage produced consistent graphical results across browsers.

I don't think that Lynx is anywhere close to HTML5 compliance, because it doesn't parse it in a way that would allow it to use the mandated error recovery.