lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] logging lynx

From: Mouse
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] logging lynx
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 09:22:26 -0400 (EDT)

>> I do not understand why lynx would syslog anything
> If one enables logging lynx logs all accesses.  This keeps a browsing
> history I can consult (14 years' worth now).  [...]

Sounds useful, but it seems to me syslog is a wrong tool for that job.
That's something for the lynx user, whereas syslog logs are for
sysadmins.

Of course, most machines these days effectively have no users besides
their sysadmin, but that's no reason to confuse the two for the
machines where it still is a real distinction.  (Even today, machines
not too infrequently have guest accounts.)

Hmm, maybe captive-account uses of lynx should use syslog?  Arguably
lynx should be capable of logging to syslog and capable of logging to a
user-level daemon/file.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                address@hidden