lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] TLS-"transport layer security" & LYNX

From: Mouse
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] TLS-"transport layer security" & LYNX
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 10:24:30 -0400 (EDT)

>> [...] webservers that refuse to serve anything over HTTP except a
>> redirect to HTTPS.
> They are just following an industry trend orchestrated by Google.  In
> particular, having a non-HTTPS site will result in appearing a long
> way down the Google search results.  Most sites are either their to
> sell something, or to sell people to advertisers, so they want a good
> google ranking.

Perhaps.

But some sites for which I would think Google rankings are irrelevant
are joining in, even - like CIRA, which goodness knows I'm no fan of
but for which I have trouble seeing Google ranking as outweighing their
duty to be as accessible to everyone as possible.

Perhaps what you outline is most of it, and the others are just
bandwagon-jumpers, or some such.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                address@hidden