m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Modifier Keys for fcitx-m17n?

From: Richard Wordingham
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Modifier Keys for fcitx-m17n?
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 01:45:23 +0000

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 11:21:38 +0900
handa <address@hidden> wrote:

> In article <address@hidden>, Richard Wordingham
> <address@hidden> writes:

> > The binding works by the AltGr key being declared to have keysym
> > ISO_Level3_Shift, and then keysyms ISO_Level3_Shift and Mode_Switch
> > being bound to modifier mod5.
>
> Thank you for debugging this problem.  But, if the problem is
> in fcitx, please suggest your solution to the developpers of fcitx.

I'll make another attempt soon.  The Ubuntu bug portal wasn't
accessible last week, and Firefox was refusing to connect to the fcitx
site because of https issues.  My thought was that at least some
people affected by the problem would find my solution here.

> > Are there environments where an M17n input method should duplicate a
> > mapping for, for instance, G-i, with the same mapping for A-i?
>
> What do you mean by "duplicate"?  When an M17n input method contains a
> rule for A-i, that rule should be fired even if a user types G-i?
> Then, no.   I think there's no such a situation.

My feeling is that ALT for entering characters is obsolescent.  All too
often, ALT keys are needed for the application, desktop or operating
system.  AltGr is the solution to that problem.  However, if ALT key
will be usable, perhaps the user will expect that LeftAlt should also
select the alternative graphic symbol.

Richard.