m4-discuss

protect my comma

From: Marc Chantreux
Subject: protect my comma
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 10:01:47 +0100

Hi all,

This is my first m4 use, i'm trying to write an m4 html processor but the commas are bugging me. I haven't found FAQ or code snippets about m4, the better document i've found is the gnu manual (still a manual, no tutorial) so i'll be glade to have some good links to learn m4.

For the moment, can anyone help me for my comma problem?

input expected :

UL(sed, awk, ``m4, first experience'')

output expected :

<ul>
<li>sed</li>
<li>awk</li>
<li>m4,first experience</li>
</ul>

current ouput :

<ul>
<li>sed</li>
<li>awk</li>
<li>m4</li>
<li>first experience</li>
</ul>

macros definitions :

define(`LISTITEM', `ifelse($1,`',,`<li>$1</li>
LISTITEM(shift($*))')')dnl
define(UL,`<ul>
LISTITEM($@)</ul>')dnl

is there a way to protect my comma across the recursive calls ?

regards
mc