m4-discuss

Future Development of m4

From: Cordian Alexander Daniluk
Subject: Future Development of m4
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 00:44:13 +0100

Hi fellow m4 people,

I'm using m4 for a while now. I like it and you can be really clever writing macros with it (for better or worse).
Anyway, I've eagerly anticipated new commits on the git tree ever since I started using m4.

Now, around New Year's Eve, some new commits have been pushed and commits are coming daily now. It's still more a "keeping up with the state-of-the-art" thing as of now, I think (and daresay), but it's part of maintenance and I'm glad there's ongoing development, which brings me to my question: how is development of m4 going to continue?

I'm following m4-patches and Eric Blake has uttered several times something along "development's going on as long as I manage to find some spare time," and I respect that. It's great that the project is being pushed forward.
However, before New Year's Eve, the last commit dated back to 2014, so back then, I wondered when development would resume, naturally.

I've checked out the GNU m4 website and there was already talk of GNU m4 2.0 already, with modules and all.

Not that this is all too important, I'm just a curious m4 user, but how (frequent) is development going to be? If possible, when do you think v1.6 and v2.0 will be released? And what parts are you currently focusing on?

Regards,
Cordian