m4-discuss

Re: GNU M4 help

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: GNU M4 help
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 07:16:13 -0500

On 07/17/2017 07:08 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 07/17/2017 06:17 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Can you please tell me the latest version of GNU M4 and its EOL , also can
>> you please tell me the EOL  of all the previous versions of GNU M4.
>
> The latest version is always listed here:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/m4/m4.html
>
> currently 1.4.18
>
> The EOL of open source software is a tricky thing to predict - there is
> no fixed release schedule, and therefore, all the more we can promise is
> that a version is not EOL until the next version is released.

That said, if you need more guarantees than what upstream is willing to
provide, you are always welcome to open a contract with a downstream
enterprise distro to guarantee support for a particular version.  For
example (although you'll note that I'm biased based on my email
address), you could sign up for a Red Hat Enterprise Linux contract, at
which point you are guaranteed that your particular pre-built version of
M4 shipped in that distro is supported for as long as that distro is
supported, regardless of what upstream does in the meantime.  For
example, RHEL 6 ships m4 1.4.13, and since RHEL 6 is not EOL, then Red
Hat's build of 1.4.13 is not EOL, even though here on the upstream list
we will probably ignore any bug reports against that version unless you
can also reproduce the bug in the latest upstream version (that is, by
using a downstream distro, your bug reports should go to that downstream
vendor).

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266