mailman

RE: groff Bounce List?

From: Jeff Conrad
Subject: RE: groff Bounce List?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 00:53:30 +0000

Bob,

Thanks for the great explanation!

Offhand, I’m inclined to blame my mail agent (Outhouse 2013).  I had
recently changed computers, and had used a different mail agent
(Outhouse Express; yeah, I know ...) in the past. I exported all
an interesting process.  I thought I had made the switch before March 25,
for which I have a message from the list in which the displayed
address was as expected and as it had been for years.  But I may have
been mistaken.  Upon closer examination, the March 25 message may have
been the last of the imports; I notice that all internet headers were
lost—probably a result of the lousy export process.  The archive shows
that there were six other message from April 4 to April 12 that I do not
have locally; perhaps they would have answered the question.  For now,
I’ll assume MS are guilty until proven innocent.

MS Office does some things quite well, but does many others quite
poorly.  I’m assuming this issue falls into the latter category.
Unfortunately, Office is still what people use.  As Mencken allegedly
said, no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the
American public.

> Could you say a few words explaining how this is causing you problems?
> I can't think of anything here that is unusual or would cause a mailer
> any trouble at all.

I had just sent a message that somehow disappeared.  I hadn’t posted for
quite some time, so I wondered if something had changed.  Karl Berry
suggested that a spam filter may have eaten the message (perhaps the
filter determined the message was of no value; it may have been right ...).
A couple of recent messages went through just fine, so all seems to be
OK.

> And by the way...  It is okay if you are just trying to understand
> what is happening here without it really causing any problems.

That wasn’t the objective; I only asked because my message never showed
up.  But I now know almost enough about the mechanics to be dangerous.

Thanks again for the explanation.

Jeff