make-alpha

Re: CVS psmith make: Various cleanups reported by people using the alpha

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: CVS psmith make: Various cleanups reported by people using the alpha release.
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:59:56 -0400

%% Greg McGary <address@hidden> writes:

  gm> "Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>" <address@hidden> writes:

  >> Incorporate "order-only" prerequisites patch.  Wrote a test for it.
  >> The test shows what might be a bug in the code; I need to look at it
  >> more closely (anyway it doesn't behave as I expected).

  gm> I can debug it this morning, if that helps you.

I'm at work right now so I need to set some things up before I can
reproduce the problem.

Basically the thing I noted was this: if you have a prereq which is both
normal and order-only, then $? does not contain that prereq even if it
changed.

I tried something like this

  foo : bar | baz
        @echo '$$? = $?'
        touch $@

  foo: baz

  .PHONY: baz
  bar baz:
        touch $@

Now the first time it all looks correct (IIRC) but the second time $? is
empty even though baz was changed (it's .PHONY after all).

Anyway, this is from memory from last night... what I think should
happen in this case is that the order-only-ness of that prereq should be
removed and it should be treated as just a normal prereq: after all,
order-only prereqs are a strict subset of normal prereqs.

Then the question becomes, should $| be empty?  I don't know for sure
but I think that would be OK (and it's better than $? being empty, IMO).

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/