make-alpha

Re: Integration of the code of user defined out of date evaluation

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Integration of the code of user defined out of date evaluation
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 16:02:31 -0500

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 21:33 +0100, Ramón García wrote:
> Here is the patch for private variables. It includes two test cases
> and documentation.

Thanks Ramon.  Please remember to include ChangeLog entries in your
patch as well.

On the changes: I wonder if it wouldn't be simpler to forgo the separate
list of inherited vs. private variables, and instead keep them all in
the same list with just a boolean setting to declare which it is (as you
already have).

I find it difficult to believe we'll have so many target-specific
variables, private or not, that it justifies the expense of a separate
list both in the size of the data structure (the file structure is the
single most-used structure in make, I would guess) and in the complexity
of the code.

I didn't see anything in the patch you sent that really benefited
greatly from having the lists separate.

What do you think?

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us