Re: Need GNU Make which runs on Windows 2000 help !

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Need GNU Make which runs on Windows 2000 help !
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 12:18:39 -0500

%% Earnie Boyd <address@hidden> writes:

  eb> address@hidden wrote:

  >> Thank you for taking the trouble to respond.  I had stumbled across
  >> cygwin through download.com, which contains a make which seems also to
  >> be working fine.

  eb> Note that the result will most likely be dependent on the
  eb> cygwin1.dll runtime.  You will need to distribute the cygwin1.dll
  eb> and the source for that version with your code.  If you wish a
  eb> proprietary license for your code, then you don't want to use have
  eb> your result dependent on the cygwin1.dll runtime.  If you use an
  eb> Open Source license for your code, then an exception which
  eb> inoculates your code from the GPL viral license, however, you will
  eb> still need to distribute the cygwin1.dll code if you distribute
  eb> the cygwin1.dll runtime.

Just to be clear: the above is true if you use Cygwin's compiler but not
if you just use the make that comes with Cygwin.

However, the Cygwin version of GNU make has been modified from the
version that is shipped by the FSF, so if you run into "non-basic"
problems with it (yeah, I know, how do you tell which are "basic"?) you
should ask about them on the Cygwin lists.