Re: make/tests issues

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: make/tests issues
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:51:46 -0500

%% Earnie Boyd <address@hidden> writes:

  >>> Which GNU diff are you using?  The diff that comes with MSYS doesn't
  >>> output \r\n only \n line endings.

  >> I am using MSYS GNU diff v2.7.  This output distinguishes \r\n and \n in
  >> input files and outputs including these differences.  Did you mean that
  >> MSYS diff would only output \n ?

  eb> Yes.

I don't see how it makes any difference what type of line ending diff
_outputs_.

Diff is used to compare the results of the test with the expected
results.  If the tests pass it won't generate any output at all, so the
type of line ending printed by diff is utterly irrelevant.

What's important is (a) whether GNU make prints CRLF or LF, (b) whether
perl (which prints the expected results file) prints CRLF or LF, and
possibly (c) whether diff judges that lines ending in CRLF are different
than lines ending in LF.

I think the real answer here is that you need to build make and perl
using the same toolkits, so they both generate the same line ending
style.  Then diff will have nothing to complain about.