Re: VPATH problem using make under Windows

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: VPATH problem using make under Windows
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:34:05 -0400

I'm going to give a shameless plug that will eliminate your woes. Use MSYS from www.mingw.org and your build process can remain the same as it is for your Redhat 9 build.

Earnie

Dale Macdonald wrote:

I have come across a nasty snag, which has brought me to a crushing
halt.
I am primarily a java developer, but as of the beginning of this year,
have also been working with a compiler called FlagShip, which will run a
large majority of Clipper code. Flagship generates C code, which is then
compiled accordingly.
Originally, I was working with RedHat 9, but as we would also like the
final result to run under Windows, and as a windows port of FlagShip has
just been released, I attempted to compile on an XP machine.
Problem is this - we have a large number of common files, which reside
in a common directory, and by setting VPATH, this was no problem for
make under RedHat - but I am wholly unable to get this to be the case
under Windows. I have tried : VPATH = C:\common VPATH = \common VPATH = C:/common VPATH = /common and even VPATH = C:\\common
Regardless, make appears unable to produce .obj files, though it does
generat .c files in th common subdirectory depending on the version of
VPATH above which I attempt Any idea what it is that I am doing wrong/what point I am missing??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
I attach a simplified Makefile to indicate what i am attempting to do :

MAIN = maino.exe
Coptions = -d
mainmodule = -Mmaino
COMP= FlagShip LINK= FlagShip VPATH =C:/thorsten/common

.SUFFIXES:
.SUFFIXES: .obj .prg .out

# .c.obj:
# FlagShip $(Coptions) -O -c $*.prg

.prg.obj:
$(COMP) -c $<
rm -f $*.c

# .obj:
#  FlagShip $(Coptions) $(mainmodule) $(THEOBJECTS) -o$@

.SILENT:

.IGNORE:

THEOBJECTS =   \
maino.obj \
subfuncs.obj all: $(MAIN) $(MAIN): $(THEOBJECTS) $(LINK) $(THEOBJECTS) $(mainmodule) -o $(MAIN) -d echo "--- invoke $(MAIN) ---" # maino.obj: maino.prg
# subfuncs.obj: subfuncs.prg

#clean : # -(rm *.c *.obj *.bi *.bp )

#delete : $(THEOBJECTS)
# rm $(THEOBJECTS)

maino.prg is in directory c:\thorsten and the common file subfuncs.prg
is in c:\thorsten\common

Finally, this is the output when I run make :

From :

C:\thorsten>make

FlagShip PRO (unlimited users)
(c) Copyright 1989..2004 by multisoft GmbH Munich/Germany
-- FS compiler phase:
   6   Pass2: maino.prg
-- C compiler and linker phase:
maino.c
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), rm -f maino.c, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.

FlagShip PRO (unlimited users)
(c) Copyright 1989..2004 by multisoft GmbH Munich/Germany
-- FS compiler phase:
c:/thorsten/common/subfuncs.bp(1): Error, illegal file and procedure
name
Invalid switch - "thorsten".ommon/subfuncs.prg

Invalid switch - "thorsten".
-- C compiler and linker phase:
subfuncs.c
c:/thorsten/common/subfuncs.c(2621) : error C2143: syntax error :
missing '{' be
fore ':'
c:/thorsten/common/subfuncs.c(2621) : error C2059: syntax error : ':'
Invalid switch - "thorsten".
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), rm -f subfuncs.c, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.

FlagShip PRO (unlimited users)
(c) Copyright 1989..2004 by multisoft GmbH Munich/Germany
-- C compiler and linker phase:
maino_m.c
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file "subfuncs.obj"
"--- invoke maino.exe ---"

C:\thorsten>make
make: *** No rule to make target `subfuncs.obj', needed by `maino.exe'. Stop.