Re: CMD.EXE support

From: David Baird
Subject: Re: CMD.EXE support
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:30:22 +0200

> This is true, but only for cmd.exe from Windows XP and later.
> Previous versions of Windows had cmd.exe that was much more stupid.

I don't know how one can judge a command shell to be "stupid". I have
yet to find an I.Q. test for command shells. The reason to write make
files which use Window's cmd.exe is to distribute and supply a build
system which doesn't require anything more than the compiler it was
written for (Visual Studio, Tornado, ARM, whatever) and the make
program. One doesn't want to worry that the end user might have
installed Cygwin, which would render your CMD.EXE targeted make files
useless.

I will submit my final working patch in the morning. I didn't until
now, because there was no interest in it when I first submitted it. I
also made some fixes for setting and using the Path (or PATH) variable
for rules as well as $(shell) macros.

David Baird